Weight loss is achieved in many different ways and intermittent fasting is a popular way to lose weight(1).
Studies show that intermittent fasting can be a potent weight loss tool. In a review study from 2014, it was revealed to cause weight loss of 3-8% over periods of 3-24 weeks (3)
Intermittent fasting involves regular short-term fasts.
Fasting for short periods helps people eat fewer calories, and also helps optimize some hormones related to weight control.
There are a few different fasting methods. Three of the more known ones are:
1. The 16/8 Method: This method involves eating during an 8-hour feeding window, such as from noon to 8 pm.
2. Eat-Stop-Eat: Do one or two 24-hour fasts each week, for example by not eating from dinner one day until dinner the next day.
A 4-7% decrease in abdominal fat has been seen in studies on alternate-day fasting and intermittent fasting (3).
Visceral fat may be helped by fasting according to studies. Visceral fat has been reduced by 4-7% over a period of 6 to 24 weeks following an intermittent fasting way of eating in a massive review of studies (4, 3).
3. The 5:2 Diet: Only eat 500-600 calories on two days of the week, but eat the other five days ordinarily.
Consuming about 600 calories per day a for a couple of days per week, followed by a regular amount of calories is a beneficial way to promote fat loss. Eating like this is a form of intermittent fasting.
This approach results in the loss of fat by activating the energy-sensing molecule AMPK, by consuming only 600 calories per day (5)
Intermittent Fasting Helps You To Lose Weight By Reducing Calories
Reduction in calories consumed is the primary reason that intermittent fasting is successful for weight loss. Unless you overeat during an eating period, fewer calories will be consumed.
According to a review study, intermittent fasting was shown to be able to lead to weight loss. In this review, intermittent fasting over a period of 3-24 weeks was found to reduce body weight by 3-8%.
Intermittent fasting resulted in a rate of weight loss of about 0.55 pounds (0.25 kg) per week but alternate day fasting resulted in 1.65 pounds (0.75 kg) per week (3).
Their waist circumference was reduced by 4-7%, showing that belly fat got burned.
Fasting makes it easy to restrict calories without consciously trying to eat less. Many studies show that it can help you lose belly fat and weight.
How intermittent Fasting Affects Muscle
There is also another study showing that intermittent fasting causes less muscle loss than the more standard method of continuous calorie restriction (8).
Intermittent fasting can improve muscle growth.
This is because intermittent fasting reduces caloric consumption for a brief time, which dramatically decreases intramuscular fat stores (9 ).
The decrease of fat within muscle tissue has been shown to enhance the muscle cell’s response to the muscle-building hormone insulin , which drastically increases muscle protein synthesis, supporting more significant muscle growth (10, 11).
Intermittent fasting promotes fat loss and muscle growth.
How Intermittent Fasting Affects Your Hormones
Here are some of the things that happen to your hormones when you fast:(4)
When we eat are insulin levels elevate.but when we fast are insulin decreases. Lower insulin levels facilitate the body to burn fat (12).
Short-term fasting leads to numerous changes in the body that enhance fat burning.
This includes increased growth hormone, enhanced epinephrine signalling, reduced
insulin and a small boost in metabolism.
What Changes Occur In Our Body When We Fast
Numerous changes begin to happen in out body when we fast.
These are some changes that occur in your body when you fast:
• Insulin: Insulin sensitivity improves and levels of insulin drop dramatically. Lower insulin levels make stored body fat more accessible. Intermittent fasting can reduce insulin resistance, lowering blood sugar by 3-6% and fasting insulin levels by 20-31%. This should protect against type 2 diabetes (5, 3)
• Cellular repair: When fasted, your cells start the cellular repair processes. This includes autophagy, where cells digest and remove old and dysfunctional proteins that build up inside cells. (22, 23).
• Heart health: There may be a reduction of LDL cholesterol, insulin resistance, inflammatory markers, blood sugar and blood triglycerides. Which are all risk factors for heart disease. (3, 29, 30, 31).
If you’re ready to begin your body transformation, then feel free to reach out to me. Email or call to get started today.